Trapped miner presumed dead

A miner who was trapped at Kusasalethu mine, near Carltonville, was presumed to have died, Harmony Gold Mining Company said on Saturday.

The company had been searching for the miner – who became trapped during a ground fall on Wednesday – but now believed that he could not have survived, spokeswoman Henrika Basterfield said in a statement.

“Despite on-going rescue efforts to find the trapped miner, management advised 1/8on Saturday morning 3/8 that it is unlikely that the miner has survived the accident,” she said.

The rescue team would continue to search for the body and the cause of the accident was being investigated.

Operations had been suspended at the mine pending the completion of the probe.

Chief executive Graham Briggs extended the company’s condolences to the families and colleagues of the miner.

On Wednesday night, the miner had been operating a waterjet on level 45 at the time of the fall of ground, according to National Union of Mineworkers spokesman Lesiba Seshoka.

He said mining accidents were more likely in the run up to the festive seasons, as mines tried to increase production levels ahead of the break.

*

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/trapped-miner-presumed-dead-1.1181980


About this entry