Gas blast kills 10 in north China mine, one still missing

Workers wait for information about their fellows trapped under the coal mine where a blast occurred in Yuxian County, north China's Shanxi Province, early on May 19, 2010. A gas explosion occurred here at 4:50 p.m.Tuesday when 41 miners were working underground, most of whom were lifted to the ground and rescued after the blast. Ten others were reported dead and one is missing. (Xinhua/Zhan Yan)

YUXIAN, Shanxi, May 19 (Xinhua) — At least 10 people are confirmed dead and one is missing after a coal mine gas explosion Tuesday in north China’s Shanxi Province, a spokesperson for work safety authorities said Wednesday.

The accident occurred at around 4:50 p.m. Tuesday when 41 miners were working in the shaft of Chentong Coal Industry Co., Ltd., in Yuxian County.

Twenty-seven people escaped from the scene unhurt and 14 were trapped underground, said Liu Xianyun, of the work safety committee of Yangquan City, which administers Yuxian county.

Three of the trapped had been rescued, while 10 were confirmed dead and one was still missing, Liu said at a press conference.

The company was licensed with an annual production capacity of 600,000 tonnes.

Rescue work is continuing, and work safety authorities are investigating the cause of the accident.

*

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2010-05/19/c_13302785.htm


About this entry